The mission of the Volunteer Services Department at Westside Regional Medical Center is to provide high quality services to our community. Volunteer Services is committed to the care and improvement of human life while striving to treat everyone with honesty and integrity, compassion and kindness.
The Volunteer Services Department recruits individuals to assist the hospital staff in a variety of departments and services. The Volunteers strive to extend help and compliment the work of staff members with their service and are an intricate part of our healthcare team. The Volunteer Education Plan provides orientation, continuing education and training to ensure that all volunteers are informed and able to fulfill their responsibilities safely and effectively.
The Volunteer Services Department is always looking for motivated individuals who have a desire to give of themselves and give back something to their community hospital. You are invited to join a group of selfless, dedicated individuals who share a commonbond of providing others with a caring environment.
The Adult Volunteer Auxiliary is the non-profit (tax-exempt) self-governing membership organization authorized by the Westside Regional Medical Center’s Board of Trustees. The Auxiliary is the fund-raising arm of the Volunteer Services, which manages the hospital Gift Shop and jointly sponsors the Volunteer Auxiliary Medical Staff Student Scholarship Program. Additionally, the Auxiliary often partners with Westside Regional Medical Center by sponsoring a variety of charitable organizations in the community. Membership in the Auxiliary is available to everyone and consists of $5.00/year dues.
Student “Volunteen” Program
The Volunteen program offers teens (14-18) who may be interested in pursuing a career in healthcare an opportunity to experience the healthcare setting. We open up the Volunteen program to participants for our summer program and our school-year program. If you are interested in applying for the Volunteen program, the next application process starts in February 2017. Please email a 25-50 word statement on why you want to join the Westside Volunteen program to Send Mailjenny.firstname.lastname@example.org. Once that is received you will be placed on a list and be sent a Volunteen Packet in February 2017.
Please note that the application process for the Volunteen program includes the following:
- A 25-50 word statement on why the student wants to volunteer at WRMC (must completed and submitted as the first step by Feb. 28, 2017)
- Volunteer application (will be emailed to students after the statement is received during the last week of Feb 2017). It must be completed and returned to the volunteer office by March 17, 2019. That packet contains:
- Volunteen application
- Parental consent form
- School recommendation
- Copy of Immunization Record. The Record must include evidence of Hepatitis Vaccines and Tuberculin Test (if done in the 6 months) or BCG (if born in a foreign country).
- Completion of Interview Guide before coming to interview
- Once the completed packet is returned (deadline is March 17, 2017) you and your parent/guardian will be scheduled for an interview with the program director during the first 2 weeks of April 2017.
- If you are selected for the program you will need to attend a Mandatory Volunteen Orientation (date TBD in late April 2017)
- Successful completion of a written examination based on information received in the two and half hour student/volunteer orientation
Volunteer opportunities are available in the following areas:
- Emergency Dept.
- Food Services
- Gift Shop
- Human Resources
- Materials Management
- Medical Records
- All Nursing Units
- Outpatient Surgery
- Pharmacy (adults only)
- Plant Operations
- Surgery Waiting Room
For more information on adult volunteer opportunities please call Liz Gassew, Director of Volunteer Services at (954) 476-3994 . For more information on the student “Volunteen” program, please contact Jenny Mackie at email@example.com or (954) 370-5575 . (E-mail is the preferred contact method).