Welcome to the HCA Westside – Northwest Internal Medicine Residency Program website.
Westside Regional Medical Center and Northwest Medical Center, both located in the suburbs of Fort Lauderdale, have partnered with a mission to provide patients with exceptional quality care and our Internal Medicine Residents with unmatched Graduate Medical Education. At both HCA facilities, our hospital leadership and patient care teams are fully supportive and focused on fostering an environment which balances patient safety, quality care, and Graduate Medical Education.
Under the supervision of experienced, well-rounded faculty, our Residents will gain competence in providing safe, effective, evidence-based care. They will be exposed to the diagnostic and therapeutic fundamentals in each of the subspecialties of Internal Medicine with a robust and regularly scheduled didactic program ensuring a progressive responsibility in patient management and supervision.
While training with us, Residents will learn cutting-edge and established principles in patient care. Trainees will complete our residency program prepared to become skilled physicians in Internal Medicine who understand the specific needs of their community and additionally acquire competency in building strong, high-quality health systems.
On behalf of our Hospital Leadership at Westside Regional Medical Center and Northwest Medical Center, allied healthcare professionals and staff, we value your interest in our training program and anticipate meeting you in the near future.
Please explore our site and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
HCA Mission Statement: Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life. In pursuit of our mission, we believe the following value statements are essential and timeless:
- We recognize and affirm the unique and intrinsic worth of each individual.
- We treat all those we serve with compassion and kindness.
- We trust our colleagues as valuable members of our healthcare team and pledge to treat one another with loyalty, respect, and dignity.
- We act with absolute honesty, integrity, and fairness in the way we conduct our business and the way we live our lives.
NWMC/WRMC Internal Medicine Residency Mission Statement: We affirm our commitment to the pursuit of educational excellence and exceptional patient care in the context of our ethnically diverse and multicultural community.
Applying to our program
Application Requirements & Program Criteria
We appreciate your interest in our Internal Medicine Residency Program. Our program is a participant in the NRMP Match and accepts applications through ERAS.
Below are the requirements for the application/admission process:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean’s Letter
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Passing scores on USMLE Step 1, Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK), and Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) must be achieved by the second attempt, preferably on first attempt
International Medical Graduates (IMGs)
If you are an International Medical Graduate, you will need to provide the following information/documentation to be considered for admission.
- Valid ECFMG certification at or before the time of matriculation.
- Clinical experience in the U.S. (hands-on experience preferred).
- Command of the English language.
- We do not sponsor visas. You must be sponsored through ECFMG.
For information on ERAS, you may access their website. Current medical students can also obtain additional information at their medical school dean’s office.
To locate us in ERAS, please use our ACGME ID/Accreditation #: 1401100955
List of leadership and faculty
- Adekunle Bamgboye, MD
Associate Program Directors:
- Pallavi Aneja MD
- Amanda Kowalski DO
- Rajdeep “Bobby” Gadh MD Core Faculty (Renal)
- Paramjit Kalirao MD Chair IM and Core Faculty (Renal)
- John Romano MD Core Faculty (Internal Medicine)
Sub-specialty Faculty Coordinators:
- Adenigbagbe Adesoji MD Sub-Specialty Faculty (CCM)
- Lal Bhagchandani MD Sub-Specialty Faculty (Pulmonary)
- Mayuri Gupta MD Sub-Specialty Faculty (GI)
- Sonia Kalirao MD Sub-Specialty Faculty (Neurology)
- Andrew “Ryan” Martin MD Sub-Specialty Faculty (ID)
- Jason Tache DO Sub-Specialty Faculty (Heme/Onc)
- Mudit Jain MD Sub-Specialty Faculty (Endocrinology)
- Naushira Pandya MD Sub-Specialty Faculty (Geriatrics)
- Henry Cusnir MD Sub-Specialty Faculty (Cardiology)
- Jigar Shah MD Sub-Specialty Faculty (Rheumatology)
- Luis Barcena MD Clinical Faculty (ID)
- Adam Gittleman MD Clinical Faculty (Radiology)
- Vipin Gupta MD Clinical Faculty (GI)
- Scott Lieberman MD Clinical Faculty (Pulmonary/Critical Care)
- Allan Saunders MD Clinical Faculty (IR)
- Juan Rojas MD Clinical Faculty (CCM)
- Evelio Alvarez MD Clinical Faculty (Radiology)
- Freddy Malpartida MD Clinical Faculty (Renal)
- Sameer Satija MD Clinical Faculty (EP)
- Jordan Turk MD Clinical Faculty (Cardiology)
- Evelio Alvarez MD Clinical Faculty (Radiology)
IM Faculty Northwest:
- Amanda Kowalski DO Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Nesreen Kurtom DO Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Evan Garrod MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Oleg Leon Pimentel MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Rolando Llull Tombo MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Neelima Upputuri MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
IM Faculty Westside:
- Maria Ferra Rosa MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Rosemary Herrera MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Carlos Lopez MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Dario Martinez MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Victor Mejia MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Giezy Sardinas MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Abed Alhomsi MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Tatyana Borisiak MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Mario Pereira MD Clinical Faculty (Internal Medicine)
- Christopher Ochner PhD
List of residents
- Christopher Alabi, MD
- Obafemi Awolowo, Univ Coll of Health Sciences
- Khan Alam, MD, Xi’an Jiaotong Univ Coll of Med
- Younus Al-Midfai, MD, Univ of Al-Mustansiriyah Coll of Med
- Andrew Banuelos, MD, Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara Facultad de Medicina Guadalajara
- Umar Chaudhry, MD, Allama Igbal Med Coll
- Kelechi Ibe-Ekeocha, MD, Windsor University Sch of Med
- Hasnan Ijaz, MD, Avalon University Sch of Med
- Ihtisham Khalid, MD, Shalamar Medical & Dental College
- Christian Lopez, MD, Ponce Health Sciences Univ Sch of Med
- Haroon Nawaz, MD, Lahore Medical & Dental College
- Olu Ogunjemilusi, MD, American Univ of Antigua Coll of Med
- Amaka Onyiagu, MD, Nnamdi Azikiwe Univ Coll of Health Sciences
- David Philippides, MD, University of Queensland Sch of Med
- Hamid Raza, MD, Nishtar Medical Coll & Hosp
- Armish Singh, MD, American Univ of the Carib Sch of Med