How to Apply
Welcome from our Program Director
Welcome to the East Florida Consortium's Surgery Residency Program. Westside Regional Medical Center and Northwest Medical Center have partnered with a mission to provide our patients with high-quality care while training the next generation of surgeons that are advocates for their patients, communities, colleagues, and profession in addition to clinically excellent physician leaders.
The Westside Regional Medical Center Surgery Residency program’s mission is to develop the next generation of physicians and physician leaders. As a part of HCA Healthcare, we are driven by a single mission: Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
This program is designed to offer residents a rewarding, educational environment where residents are provided individualized learning opportunities by faculty and staff who support and sustain one another throughout quality care delivery. Our faculty are committed to ensuring the residents' clinical experience and educational needs are fulfilled while expanding residents’ perspectives to be inclusive of cultures, values, and ideals.
The East Florida Consortium’s General Surgery Residency Program is a community-based program under an HCA Healthcare partnership between Westside Regional Medical Center and Northwest Medical Center.
Our program aims to select the best potential trainees and provide them with a comprehensive learning experience that will afford the opportunity of becoming pioneers in Surgery.
The majority of the clinical and operative experiences will take place at both facilities. With such a diverse patient population, our surgical trainees will gain the knowledge, experience and exposure to perform at the highest level as skilled surgeons.
Our residents will also have training opportunities to rotate at other HCA Healthcare facilities such as Kendall Regional Medical Center, Largo Medical Center and Palms West Hospital.
Get to Know the Team
Shaikh Hai, M.D.
East Florida Consortium’s General Surgery Residency Program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Our program is a five-year training program that offers four categorical positions each academic year.
After satisfactory completion of our five-year training program, trainees are eligible to take the board exam with the American Board of Surgery.
- SCORE Curriculum
- FLS & FES Curriculum
- Surgical Skills and Simulation Lab Curriculum
- Library and database access through affiliated institutions
- Sophisticated data repository of over 30 million patient encounters each year
Our program monitors and tracks each of the following areas:
- Resident Performance
- Post-Rotation Evaluation by a Resident
- Faculty Teaching Skills
- Faculty Development
- Graduate Performance
- Program Quality
Feedback is very important and will be provided to each resident so that they are aware of their progression throughout the training experience.
Curriculum & Rotation Schedule
Our expertly crafted programs are designed to provide resident physicians with all the experiences and training necessary for professional success.
The East Florida Consortium's General Surgery Residency Program is committed to providing an enriching education and clinical curriculum to prepare general surgery residents in becoming outstanding clinicians.
The program is designed to expose residents to a variety of experiences through training while ensuring that they develop the appropriate clinical skills and knowledge to practice General Surgery.
The program is dedicated to educating residents in providing quality, relationship-based care through collaboration, compassion, integrity, safety and accountability.
Educational activities schedule
- Weekly Conference Didactics
- Monthly Grand Rounds
- Monthly Journal Club
- Quarterly Research Conference/Update on Resident Projects
- Surgical Skills/Simulation Lab Sessions
- Monthly Tumor Board
Our program offers exposure to general and specialty surgical practices in academic and private settings. We have incorporated training in specific areas such as Burn, Plastics, Trauma and Surgical Critical Care. Other learning activities include ABSITE Review and Mass Casualty Drills & Disaster Management Training.
Salary & Benefits Information
Residents are paid bi-weekly. The salary schedules are as follows:
These amounts are subject to taxation. Residents new to the hospital will receive a $500 stipend to cover the time spent for onsite and online orientation activities. This amount is also subject to taxes.
Residents will receive the following benefits:
- Medical, vision and dental insurance as of the first day of employment
- Life and Disability Insurance provided
- Flexible spending accounts
- CorePlus Benefits
- HCA Healthcare 401K
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Annual paid leave to cover time off for vacation, sick, holiday and other time away from work as described in the HCA GME Resident Manual
- Worker's Compensation Insurance consistent with the hospital's benefits program
- Residents' Lounge and Call Room
- Paid certification courses for ACS/ATLS/BLS/PALS
- Paid in-training examinations
- Approved conference attendance and professional memberships as outlined by the Program Director
- Meals provided while working in the clinical environment
- Lab coats
Frequently Asked Questions about our Surgery Residency Program
All applications should be submitted and will ONLY be accepted using the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Candidates must also participate in the National Residency Match Program (NRMP) to enter the program.
Applicants selected to interview are informed via email. Interview dates are scheduled between November and the end of January. There is a dinner/social event scheduled for the night before the interview day.
Yes. Applicants must be recent (two or fewer years) graduates from medical school to be considered. Special exceptions may be considered for:
- Candidates with a MD or DO with a MPH/MS/PhD and extensive prior research experience after completion of an LCME or a COCA-accredited medical school or osteopathic medical school in the US or Canada.
- Candidates who have served a prolonged period as a general medical officer in the US military.
- Candidates who have successfully completed an ACGME or AOA-accredited residency/fellowship program in the US or Canada.
The following hotels are within walking distance of Westside Regional Medical Center:
311 North University Dr
Plantation, FL 33324
Phone: (954) 424-3300
8530 West Broward Blvd
Plantation, FL 33324
Phone: (954) 370-2220
Residence Inn by Marriott
130 North University Dr
Plantation, FL 33324
Phone: (954) 723-0300